Green tea is used all over the world either just as a tasty drink, to help with a sore throat or for its range of health benefits.
- Green Tea is high in antioxidants – these reduce stress as they fight damaged cells which are cause by free radicals, including aging and environmental factors. They protect us against oxidative stress by increasing the amount of antioxidation.
- Can help with losing weight – green tea extract is made up of caffeine and catechins which have been shown to help with weight loss through thermogenesis. This process occurs when your body burns the food that is digested. Green tea extract helps your body become better at burning calories.
- May prevent heart ill-health – as the oxidative stress builds up in the blood, inflammation is caused, leading to high blood pressure. Luckily, the antioxidants in green tea extract can reduce the inflammation and reduce blood pressure. Studies have shown that people who take green tea extract experience lower blood pressure and reduced blood fat levels.
- Good for the brain – green tea extract has been shown to protect brain cells from oxidative stress and could help to reduce mental decline. Furthermore, it has been shown to help enhance memory through the connection of different parts of the brain. Studies have shown that people who take green tea extract have improved brain functions and performance.
- Good for the skin – studies have shown that when people take green tea extract it helps with many skin problems, such as dermatitis, acne and aging. It can also help the elasticity, inflammation and damaged skin caused by the sun.
- Could benefit exercise performance and recovery – while exercise has lots of benefits, it can cause oxidative stress. The antioxidants in green tea combined with strength training can enhance the amount of antioxidant protection within the body. Furthermore, it can benefit exercise performance, as people have found that their running distance was enhanced after taking green tea extract for 4 weeks.